[geeks] How low can you go...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Mar 16 07:31:08 CDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 02:08:38PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Sometime's it's silly to follow your own postings, but pardon my
poor memory and lack of quick associtation. Back when we were disussing
the $100 laptop on the Geeks list, I pointed out what software I thought
NEEDED to be on such a laptop, and other's joined in with their opinions.

I'm still tossing that idea around, as IMHO the MIT project has feature
crept from a $100 laptop to a $1000 desktop. It has some interesting
and inovative features that make it useful in strange places, but I
feel most of them are not needed.

I could produce a cheap laptop for about $250 cost (closer to $150 if
I made a million of them). If you could find organizations to buy them for
people that can't afford them, I could eaily place a billion of them.

My point is that someone will want them if you offer them. If you
package them with freedos and a bunch of not very violent games,
you could give them to organizations that provide support for children
in hospitals.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838