[geeks] How low can you go...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Mar 16 12:07:44 CDT 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:25:12 -0400
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> What does NetBSD offer in the way of lightweight X11?
Just the usual XFree. Nothing especially lightweight. But the base
system doesn't include any X11 apps beside the standard XFree xapps.
I.e. the only window manager after install is twm. Anything else has to
be added explicitely via pkgsrc. The complete install of the base system
with compiler, X11, ... takes less then 400 MB. (Maybe even less then
300 MB.)

> I have a
> 800x600 laptop of some sort.  I was thinking it would be nice to have
> graphical emacs running, perhaps in a root window.  I haven't gotten
> around to doing anything with the machine yet.  I believe it is a P75
> with 24 megs and a 1 gig disk.  I've been thinking portable
> lisp-station, perhaps with an addon wireless card.
Hmmm. 24 MB RAM for X11 and _EMACS_ may be a bit tight. The P75 surely
is no problem.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen