[geeks] How low can you go...

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Mar 16 11:08:26 CDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:25:12AM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:16:09AM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>
>> I instaled NetBSD on an old laptop. 486DX2-50, 8 MB RAM, 250 MB HD.
>> Does the job quite well.
>
> What does NetBSD offer in the way of lightweight X11?  I have a
> 800x600 laptop of some sort.  I was thinking it would be nice to
> have graphical emacs running, perhaps in a root window.  I haven't
> gotten around to doing anything with the machine yet.  I believe it
> is a P75 with 24 megs and a 1 gig disk.  I've been thinking portable
> lisp-station, perhaps with an addon wireless card.

NetBSD (at least on x86 and a couple of sparcs) is using either XF86
or X.org, so, it all depends on which graphics chips you have running
things.

I have XF86 on my Sparcbook 3gx running 800x600, but I'm not an emacs
guy, so I can't really attest to that particular level of usability.  I
do find it quite usable otherwise.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org