[geeks] How low can you go...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 16 09:02:15 CDT 2007

>From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
>Date: 2007/03/16 Fri AM 08:11:41 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] How low can you go...

>Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> If you can stomach 10 M/bit cards, they are not hard to find at all (around here anyway - typically under $10 shipped), my personal favorite card is the Intel 10/100 Real Port card that takes up two slots and has a real RJ-45 jack in the side (Xircom had similar cards)) - some even had 56K modems as well (so an RJ-11 for telco and RJ-45 for modem). I may just get one of those and use this laptop as a rackmount console (1024x768, nice keyboard, built-in trackpad for mouse, an actual 9 pin serial port)...
>
>Oh yeah.  I loved the RealPort cards.  Next best thing to built-in
>Ethernet.  Dongles *break*.  *EASILY.*  A hard pull on the cable can do
>it.  Those ghastly XJack things are almost as fragile, more so in some
>ways, and when you break one of those, you're not just looking at a new
>dongle, you're looking at a whole new card.  STUPID idea.

How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-PRO-100-II-MBLA3400-10-100-Realport-PCMCIA-NIC_W0QQitemZ110088835148QQcmdZViewItem

I'd like a modem too, but that price is DARN low (IMHO, YMMV)

$7.50 plus non-abusive S/H charges, I think I'm gonna order one or two to have on hand (the seller's got 950 of them!)

(Update - I ordered two, and with USPS shipping it came to just under $20 :^)

Lionel