[geeks] How low can you go...

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 16 08:11:41 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> If you can stomach 10 M/bit cards, they are not hard to find at all (around here anyway - typically under $10 shipped), my personal favorite card is the Intel 10/100 Real Port card that takes up two slots and has a real RJ-45 jack in the side (Xircom had similar cards)) - some even had 56K modems as well (so an RJ-11 for telco and RJ-45 for modem). I may just get one of those and use this laptop as a rackmount console (1024x768, nice keyboard, built-in trackpad for mouse, an actual 9 pin serial port)...

Oh yeah.  I loved the RealPort cards.  Next best thing to built-in
Ethernet.  Dongles *break*.  *EASILY.*  A hard pull on the cable can do
it.  Those ghastly XJack things are almost as fragile, more so in some
ways, and when you break one of those, you're not just looking at a new
dongle, you're looking at a whole new card.  STUPID idea.

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438