[geeks] DST hell

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 11 21:35:13 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sun, 11 Mar 2007 @ 19:05 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
>
>> I don't quite understand why you'd need such a thing on Solaris or
>> Linux, which have a perfectly functional and usable CLI in the first
>> place.
>
> A GUI is a hell of a lot faster for certain classes of file browsing and
> manipulation, so it is convienient then.

OK, I guess I do not find that to be true for me except in special
cases.  For me, the GUI file browser is the exception rather than the rule.

> You use the GUI until it becomes a liability, and then fire off a shell.
>
> Likewise you can use a CLI until it becomes a liability, and just fire
> up your favorite GUI file browser wherever you currently are.

Yup, that's the way around I tend to work, given the choice.  And I
*very* seldom find myself wanting to open a GUI file browser when I have
a good CLI there.

But I realize other people's mileage may vary on that point ...  I was
being slightly facetious.

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438