[geeks] Well, crap ...

Kevin kevin at pipeline.com
Sun Mar 11 20:42:26 CDT 2007

I don't know what you called it (DRM or otherwise) but the 4100 looks for a
chip on the cartridges that, originally, were only found on the HP
cartridges, and frequently complains if it doesn't' t find it.  It still
works with refills, it's just annoying.

Supposedly, the chip is there to give a more accurate indication of when
the toner is getting low.

/KRM

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:21:37 -0500 (CDT)
Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> >From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
> >Date: 2007/03/11 Sun PM 06:29:47 CDT
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: [geeks] Well, crap ...
>
> >My trusty LaserJet 4M Plus, with duplexer, appears to have turned its
> >toes in the air after something like 12 years of faithful service.
>
> <snip>
>
> >So: Anyone have any experiences and/or advice to share on the 4500?  Is
> >the 4500 one of those whose cartridges have the DRM chip that reports
> >the cartridge empty after a fixed number of pages, whether it's actually
> >empty or not?
>
> I think you're confusing ink jets and laserjets - it was the ink jet
printers that had the DRM cartridges, AFAIK, not the laserjets...

> I've no experience with the 4500N, but it looks nice...
>
> Lionel

/~\ The ASCII
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML