[geeks] DST hell

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 10:53:56 CDT 2007

On 3/10/07, Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
> A lot of Windows desktops need to be rebooted regularly anyway and if
> you're forced to use Backup Exec like I currently am it won't backup
> Outlook .pst files if the app is open.  Thus nobody's mail is
> safeguarded.

This reminds of something I saw at a previous employer.

I was working at a company that used Lotus Notes for email and Legato
for backups and
they were in the process of transitioning their data center to the
parent company which used Tivoli for backups.  We were in a meeting
with them while they described their backup
process for the mail server.  They backed up the mail database files
as files, rather than using the module for Tivoli.  I asked if this
worked for them.  "Well, it works pretty good except for 1 or 2 times
out of 10."   So, basically, a 10-20% failure rate was apparently ok.

Oh, one more detail:  Parent company operates nuclear power plants.

--
Dan Duncan