[geeks] DST hell

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sat Mar 10 18:48:08 CST 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:00:39AM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
>> If we're dealing with Win-blows boxes you would:
>>
>> 1) Patch the PDC for DST.
>> 2) Use ntp to set it's local clock.
>> 3) Turn off DST on the desktops.
>> 4) Use "net time" in the login scripts to set the local time to the
>> PDC.  (0)
>>
>> Mike Hebel
>> (0) You _are_ making sure your users logout every night right?  Unless
>> of course you've got third-shift people that is.
>
> Seems poor form to require that your users always logout at night.

A lot of Windows desktops need to be rebooted regularly anyway and if
you're forced to use Backup Exec like I currently am it won't backup
Outlook .pst files if the app is open.  Thus nobody's mail is
safeguarded.

Mike Hebel
----
People judge people. Lives are being cut short because of someone's
personal logic. Mothers, fathers, friends...their entire paths
instantly vanish into thin air. The question is, should this take place
at the whim of one individual? A beautiful woman stood before the
corpses of the Roderick thieves. She told me that she was merely
discarding some useless garbage. Dominique the Cyclops told me to just
think of it as "Spring cleaning."- Vash