[geeks] DST hell

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Mar 10 12:52:26 CST 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:52:50 -0500
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:00:39AM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
> > If we're dealing with Win-blows boxes you would:
> >
> > 1) Patch the PDC for DST.
> > 2) Use ntp to set it's local clock.
> > 3) Turn off DST on the desktops.
> > 4) Use "net time" in the login scripts to set the local time to the
> > PDC.  (0)
> >
> > Mike Hebel
> > (0) You _are_ making sure your users logout every night right?  Unless
> > of course you've got third-shift people that is.
>
> Seems poor form to require that your users always logout at night.

I was thinking the same thing.

Personally, I frequently run things overnight, or need to preserve my working
context.

However, sometimes it is very hard to get things to work right on Microsoft
and Novell networks until your users get all the way out and back in.  There
is all kinds of weirdness in there that makes things funkier than it would be
with UNIX.

Then there are the memory leaks... I know quite a few shops locally have to
reboot their Windows servers at least once a week to get rid of memory
leaks.  Just restarting the offending services won't fix it.

The default heavy locking in Windows systems is a real PITA, and is part of
the problem that causes you to have to logout and/or reboot so much.

I much prefer the UNIX way: no locking of essential system components except
by the system (or put better, no circular lock dependencies that affect the
system), and in userland only use locking where absolutely needed.

--
shannon / Well, I have entered the metallic years. Silver in my hair, gold in
-------'  my teeth, lead in my ass...  -- Sheldon Hall