[geeks] synchronizing dhcp and bind

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jun 24 14:22:47 CDT 2007

Sun, 24 Jun 2007 @ 17:23 +0100, Mike Meredith said:

> It is possible the documentation could be deceptive; it could have been
> written when it was all new and not updated since. The ISC dhcpd server
> doesn't always get much in the way of resources to maintain it.

I have no idea, but this sounds plausible. Maybe NetBSD needs to update
their man pages. They say it works, but give the caveat of the whole
thing being subject to change.

> > I think this method, and having DNS have a set of addresses to use,
> > will work out better for now.
>
> Unless you've got more than 100 addresses or so then yes.

What's really the difference between managing the IP addresses in dhcpd
and doing it in bind?

Seems there are far more tools for managing DNS than dhcp...

What's the advantage of having dhcpd update DNS rather than just getting
the IP from DNS?

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto