[geeks] synchronizing dhcp and bind

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sun Jun 24 11:23:59 CDT 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:06:25 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> The idea of dhcpd updating bind is interesting, but still at the
> prototype stage and not entirely compatible with the proposed
> standards.

I must have missed the discussion ... but using ISC dhcpd to update ISC
bind *might* still be prototype, but I've been doing exactly that on a
network with in the region of 15,000 leases for many years. As for how
standards compliant it is, it uses standard RFC2136 to update a DNS
server, and although the 'interim' method isn't standards compliant, it
is probably closer than anything else as the standard would be driven
by ISC.

It is possible the documentation could be deceptive; it could have been
written when it was all new and not updated since. The ISC dhcpd server
doesn't always get much in the way of resources to maintain it.

> I think this method, and having DNS have a set of addresses to use,
> will work out better for now.

Unless you've got more than 100 addresses or so then yes.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 This signature has been rot13-encrypted twice, reading it is illegal