[geeks] Modem Sniffer

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Thu Jun 14 02:21:12 CDT 2007

Quoth Sridhar Ayengar ...

> Yeah.  What I thought of doing is having it call an external modem,
> sniffing the serial coming out of the external modem, then
> passing all
> of the data through to another modem communicating to the server.  I
> don't have any control over the server.

Try hooking a "tap modem" to a separate computer and to the phone line in
use by the "real" modems, then tell the tap mode to pick up the phone with
the correct speed and whatnot, using the appropriate AT commands.  It will
probably help if you lock your calling modem into some known combination of
speed and features, so you don't have to guess whe you tell the tap to pick
up.

Using the right combination of AT commands will let you do all sorts of
things with a modem.

-Shel