[geeks] Microsoft Surface...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jun 4 14:12:26 CDT 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>> So you're saying that Microsoft was trying to squash it's competitors
>> by not releasing a JRE for the Mac?  (or Sun, Linux, or for Amigas,
>> etc.)
>
> No.  Microsoft used the phrase "embrace and extend".  This basically
> meant "take over and pollute".  Microsoft wanted to add proprietary
> extensions to their Java implementation which would run ONLY on a
> Microsoft OS on an x86 platform.  Not to the JRE; to the *language*.

I maintain that the only real reason Sun was upset by this is that
Microsoft's UI class library was far superior (both in terms of API and
user experience) to AWT and Swing.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "If we keep our pride, though paradise is lost, we
Elgin, TX        (   will pay the price, but we cannot count the cost."