[geeks] Google Images Facial Recognition!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 3 10:17:32 CDT 2007

>From: sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org>
>Date: 2007/06/02 Sat PM 11:58:59 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Google Images Facial Recognition!

>On 03/06/2007, at 05:50, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Think a moment: how effective is any kind of technique if over 90%
>> of the time
>> you apply it to the wrong target?
>> It has nothing to do with being treated "special", it has to be
>> with effective
>> use of limited resources.
>> Spending them on the 1% probability and ignoring the 99%
>> probability is not a
>> winning game.
>
>This is the key to El-Al's previously mentioned success.  Their
>entire process is based on profiling, plain and simple.  They have
>young men and women who are trained in psychological profiling and
>who circulate among the crowd of passengers *talking* to people.
>Based on their observations passengers are shunted to either the high-
>security or the go-right-through lanes.
>
>This would never work in the US.  It's too rational, and does not
>treat everyone with the same level of suspicion.
>
>It should be noted that the profiling is NOT racial.  I've seen Arabs
>passed right through and been picked for thorough inspection myself,
>including completely unpacking my suitcases before ever getting to
>the ticketing counter.

As a resident of New Jersey, in the United States of America, a consumer of mass-market media, and a victim of various public interest organizations, I can parrot emphatically that all profiling IS racial - no two ways around it. [0]

Lionel

[0] http://www.aclu.org/racialjustice/racialprofiling/15856prs20011010.html