[geeks] Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?

Jon Gilbert jjj at io.com
Tue Jul 31 22:21:24 CDT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:59 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Nope.  Like I said, it's my opinion, very-much how it's my opinion
> (and,
> from the rest of this thead, possibly not mine alone) that something
> that involves so much pretending is a game, or at least an amusement,
> regardless of whether it has the trappings of health meters and such.
>
> When I use a web browser, a newsreader, an email client, an LDAP query
> frontend, or any of the other tools I use on a daily basis that use
> the
> Internet as a medium, I don't pretend I'm something I'm not.  I don't
> have an "avatar".  I don't pretend that a collection of polygons and
> space on someone's server is a house.  I don't pretend that someone's
> web site is a mall.

There's nothing about Second Life that forces you to pretend
anything. You are free to use your real name if you like, or put it
in your profile. You can even have your avatar look exactly like you.
However, I don't know about you, but a lot of people don't WANT a lot
of random strangers knowing who they really are, especially in this
day and age of identity theft and other nastiness. Most people in SL
use a different name, just like how most people who post on the
UseNet, in IRC, or on a web forum use a handle.

That said, "pretending" is not limited to Second Life. I would argue
that all GUIs involve massive amounts of pretending, in the sense
that you're using the word. When you throw a file in the recycle bin
on your computer, are you not "pretending" to throw a "document" into
a "trash can?" Analogies to the real world are everywhere in
computers. Are you not pretending that you are a little arrow flying
around a desktop whenever you use your mouse?

Your avatar in Second Life is just a proxy, like the cursor arrow,
that represents you in the virtual world. It does not mean that you
are "pretending" you are really that avatar, or something. It just
facilitates your interaction with the virtual space and the other
people in it. Likewise, having a virtual "house" does not mean that
you are "pretending" that you really live there, as in The Sims 2.
You *can* pretend that, if you want, but for many of us, the land we
own in SL has a building structure that is purely utilitarian: it
guides people to the products we sell, gives us a place to work on
new products, and allows us a space to comfortably and privately talk
with others in the virtual space without interference from random
passers-by.

But more to the point, I think that you think it's "pretend" just
because it is in 3D. I mean, how is a mall in SL anymore a pretend
mall than Amazon.com is? Just because Amazon.com is in 2D, therefore
it is not a "pretend" store? I mean, when you review products on
Amazon.com, it's not like it shows your real name to the rest of the
world. You DO have a username. So, just because SL is in 3D,
therefore it is all pretend? I don't understand the logic there.
Amazon.com's website is like a big mall, in a way. Are people who
shop on Amazon.com pretending they are really shopping? How is it any
different from shopping in Second Life?

The only difference I mainly see, at this point, is that most of the
products for sale in Second Life are virtual products. The technology
of SL is fully capable of allowing people to buy real items and have
them shipped to their real houses in real life, however, and it's
just a matter of time before this technology gets adapted to that use
(as the web went through the same developments).

> Well, when you find a way to push those polygons around to make
> something that's beneficial to the world outside (the one we actually
> live in and have real problems within), that'll be excellent.
>
> Until then, it's a communications medium at best.  A high-bandwidth,
> synchronous, communications medium.  That is, it does what the
> Internet
> was designed to do initially, but while losing two of the primary
> properties that made it work so well.

It's already being used in ways that are beneficial to the world
outside. I could go and list all the companies, people, institutions,
and governments that are using it in ways that benefit their real-
life operations, but if you just do some googling or actually log
into Second Life and see for yourself, that might be more convincing
to you. Though I'd be happy to provide examples if you like. As well,
since you seem to be an expert on being an egalitarian and
humanitarian (and helping the world solve all its problems, etc.),
then I bet someone like you would actually be able to find some very
cool ways to use it towards those ends.

I would wonder what are the "two ... primary properties" of the
internet are that SL loses? I'm definitely not going to sit here and
try and argue that SL is perfect, or that it could not be improved
upon... I can think of many ways in which it could be vastly
improved. Obviously, being corporate-controlled, it lacks the open
freedom of the UseNet or the web. One can imagine a similar
technology which is not proprietary, as possibly being better. Though
of course, being a "closed environment" does also allow Second Life
to do things which would not be possible otherwise.

-
Jon Gilbert
PGP fingerprint: 7FA9 B168 73CA A698 DD9E  2DF2 EE1A 3E73 3119 741F