[geeks] Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jul 31 16:22:47 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 03:56:00AM -0700, Jon Gilbert wrote:
> I love it how "SL is a game" people always throw in pejoratives like
> "faddish," "plotless," and "dressed-up."

Okay, explain this - if it's not a game, why should I bother looking into
it?  Is my time better spent on SL than on hacking Lisp code?

> You know, I remember hearing this same kind of talk from radio and
> newspaper industry executives in the early 90's when the web was
> first growing in strength.

The web wasn't a single "application" provided by a single vendor.  Has
Linden Labs open-sourced the platform, or allowed other people to run SL
servers?

> The internet was just a fad, "like HAM  radio" they said. lol

"lol"?  You just lost respect points there.

Also, ham radio is far from a fad.  I like knowing that I have the ability
to communicate with people across town, or across the planet, without
depending on anyone else's infrastructure.

> Ah, so I suppose that makes you the authority on what is "worthwhile"
> and "productive." Thanks, next time I'm considering doing something,
> I'll check with you first to make sure I'm not wasting my time with
> some fiddle-faddle.

You really do have some sort of defensive/persecution complex going on.

> <<facepalm>>
> LOL be an ass?

See response to "lol" above.

There's nothing wrong with making money playing video games - but it
sounds like you need to admit to yourself and quit making excuses,
Second Life *IS* a video game.  It's no different from say, World of
Warcraft in my eyes.

However, that is my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas