[geeks] Disk to Disk Caching

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:09:05 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Ok.  I have this Lacie Firewire 800 external RAID 0 hard disk.  The
>> drive is just *barely* fast enough to stream compressed HD video.
>> However, my internal hard disk is a mirrored set of SATA-II drives.
>> They are way more than fast enough to stream compressed video.  I was
>> wondering if anyone knew of software I could use to cache the external
>> hard disk with the internal disk.
>
> That doesn't sound right.
>
> I stream video from a NAS box all the time without issues, on 100baseT.

100BASE-T is fine for SD video, but this is 1080p.

> What is the bit-rate and size of the video files?

I'd have the check the bit-rate, but the files are 20GB+.

> It would be easier and faster to just copy whatever you want to watch and
> watch it.

I was hoping that wasn't the case.  Since the video just barely streams,
it wouldn't make sense to do that either, since it would take almost as
much time to copy over as to watch.

Peace...  Sridhar