[geeks] Disk to Disk Caching

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 30 09:56:12 CDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 05:19:19 -0400
Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok.  I have this Lacie Firewire 800 external RAID 0 hard disk.  The
> drive is just *barely* fast enough to stream compressed HD video.
> However, my internal hard disk is a mirrored set of SATA-II drives.
> They are way more than fast enough to stream compressed video.  I was
> wondering if anyone knew of software I could use to cache the external
> hard disk with the internal disk.

That doesn't sound right.

I stream video from a NAS box all the time without issues, on 100baseT.

What is the bit-rate and size of the video files?

As far as "disk based disk cache" goes, I don't see the point.  Even if
you could somehow do that, video is streaming, so the nature of a cache would
basically work against you.

It would be easier and faster to just copy whatever you want to watch and
watch it.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto