[geeks] Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?

Jon Gilbert jjj at io.com
Sun Jul 29 23:29:17 CDT 2007

On Jul 28, 2007, at 2:23 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> I really doubt that you'll find better OpenGL performance than
> under OS
> X.  I continue to be amazed by the graphics speed of even my older Mac
> hardware.  With OpenGL on Linux (unless Xgl is self-hosting now), your
> OpenGL visuals still go through X, whereas OS X does it the other way
> around (the 2D drawing modes are implemented atop the underlying 3D
> acceleration).

The NVIDIA 8600M GT drivers for OS X are *utter crap!!!!* Probably
because OS X will not have multithreaded OpenGL (or 2.1) until 10.5.

For example Second Life runs 2x faster on Windows Vista than on OS X,
and I can force the drivers to do anti-aliasing in it because there's
actually an NVIDIA Control Panel for Vista unlike OS X (for which
there is none). I hear in Ubuntu it's even faster. So there you go.

PS -- I'm on a laptop, so I can't add a second drive.

-
Jon Gilbert
PGP fingerprint: 7FA9 B168 73CA A698 DD9E  2DF2 EE1A 3E73 3119 741F