[geeks] Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Sat Jul 28 16:23:23 CDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 12:20:51AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 11:15:02PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > You might have better luck running it inside of VMware Fusion.  It's
> > really good stuff.
>
> I own both Parallels (v3.x) and the latest RC beta of VMWare Fusion (got
> in on their $39.95 license deal), and I lean towards VMWare being the
> better product.
>
> (this is despite the fact that I used Parallels for almost a year before
> purchasing VMWare...)

I think you've kind of hit the nail on the head here. I am considering
purchasing vmware whilst its still $39.95, in spite of the fact that in
use it hasn't been as smooth as parallels. I still can't get it to boot my
bootcamp partition (at least it recognizes the partition now, but
windows bluescreens every time I try and boot it). And I still have the
olde vmware bugbear of the odd clipboard malfunction - in all the
versions of vmware that I've tried extensive cut and pasting of large
quantites of text between operating systems occasionally dies. And in my
two week trial of parallels it always worked.

However, it still runs well off vmware images, and you have that great
vmware converter tool for converting live operating systems to vmware
images. And you can use your images under linux or other hosts as well.

One funny that I have noticed is that parallels in use does seem to
consume greater cpu resouces than fusion - has anyone else noticed that?

The funky coherence/unity things have never impressed me, as they have
issues with dual head usage  - on a macbook your one head is always
800X1260 which is the native laptop resolution, and dual head support
for coherence/unity seems to be lacking if both heads are not the same
resolution (you try and find an external 800X1260 head lying around your
home computer room!).

Cheers,
Jonathan.