[geeks] 16-bit 802.11g cards?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jul 24 14:25:11 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 03:06:35PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:

> I'd recommend a USB-based wireless 802.11g adapter, and if you get
> something based on the RALink chipset, you can also use it on platforms
> other than Windows (such as Linux and Mac OS).  I have the ASUS WL-167g,
> which I've used under Linux:

I used to have two of the Dlink ones, they came with a neat little stand
with a long cord, which they needed. They were extremely susceptible
to interference from the laptop itself. Moving it around, changing its
direction, etc made a big difference in range and performance.

One I gave to a dear friend that needed it (an I may even get it back
if she's done with it) and the other I traded for an Orinoco 16 bit
PCMCIA card, a Broadcom chipset cardbus card and a Netgear PCI card.

My WiFi laugh for the day was someone selling an Orinoco "gold" card
for $30 because they sell for $40 on eBay. Yes there were some for that
BIN price, but there were at least a dozen with a BIN of $8 and bids
of far less.

BTW, you can do a field upgrade of an Orinoco Silver (64bit WEP) to
a Gold (128 bit WEP). The last version of Apple Airport software for
OS9 does it automatically, and there is a Windows program on whomever
owns the brand name this week's web site.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838