[geeks] Anyone know anything about Micronet? (another network RAID box post)

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Thu Jul 19 00:26:10 CDT 2007

This product[0] looks pretty damn cool: 1TB dual gbit ethernet RAID
box. Anyone have any experience with them?

Its feature set is pretty impressive - supports RAID5 unlike most
boxes like this, has bittorrent and FTP clients (not that BT will be
used for what I want to do with it), an iTunes server and printer
sharing, hot swappable drives, the works. Kind of an all-around SOHO
machine.

Comes with 4x250GB drives, and is about $700. Of course, what you'd
really want is one without drives, so you could put 4x1TB drives in :).

(My dad is looking at boxes like this. He has a smaller one at home
that is good for things like tar backups, but it doesn't saturate his
100mbit ethernet, let alone gbit. This is all for photo stuff -
Lightroom and Photoshop. Depending on how fast it is, he really
*wants* to use a network box for the working directories for PS and
LR, since there are two machines that need to access the same files.)

  - Micah

[0] http://xrl.us/27ke (Link to estore.micronetonly.com)