[geeks] Windows Sound Question

Eric Railine erailine at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 13:28:56 CDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running Windows XP here, and I've just changed my "Windows Start"
> sound to something fairly long.  (It's the opening theme to "Monty
> Python's Flying Circus".)  The problem is that the machine stops playing
> the WAV file about 2/3 of the way through it.  Does anyone know of a way
> to get Windows to Do The Right Thing(tm)?

Not sure myself, but this link:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_20845144.html?qid=20845144
seems to suggest that it's the size of the file that determines how
long it plays.

<quote>
"the limitation seems to be based more upon the *size* of the file, as
opposed to the length.  My original WAV file was 38 seconds long, and
about 7.4 MB in size.  If I saved it as a Compressed WAV file, it was
still the same 38 seconds long - but it was now about 3.2 MB in size -
and it played properly."
</quote>

HTH.

-Eric