[geeks] Windows Sound Question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 11 13:26:44 CDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:37:47 -0400
Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm running Windows XP here, and I've just changed my "Windows Start"
> sound to something fairly long.  (It's the opening theme to "Monty
> Python's Flying Circus".)  The problem is that the machine stops playing
> the WAV file about 2/3 of the way through it.  Does anyone know of a way
> to get Windows to Do The Right Thing(tm)?

Damn, I'm getting ready to answer a Windows question...

Windows puts a limit on how long a sample can be for system sounds.  I think
the maximum is 15 seconds.

To get around that put a command in your startup folder to play the sound
instead.

Use something that doesn't have a GUI, or has an option to suppress it.

For example:

sndrec32 /embedding /play <path to sound file>

I think you can just put that in a cmd file in your startup folder, and it
will pay on every login.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto