[geeks] UNIX-like OS for a laptop

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:26:54 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> If you use desktop applications, they work better on a DE.
>> Define "desktop applications".
>
> Pretty much 99% of what is out there, which for the last few years has gained
> more and more dependencies on the foundations of KDE and Gnome.

Again, define what you mean.  I have no idea what you're talking about.
  I use OO, SeaMonkey (sometimes with hundreds of pages open), xpdf,
GIMP and a whole bunch of smaller stuff, and I play a bunch of games,
and everything works without a hitch without a desktop environment.  I
know there's some DE dependencies in SeaMonkey, but it's still nowhere
near as fat as running an entire DE.  And I also do know that GIMP's
dependence on GTK+ can be kinda large, but again, it's not as big as
running all of GNOME.

Peace...  Sridhar