[geeks] UNIX-like OS for a laptop

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 9 12:16:43 CDT 2007

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:26:12 -0400
Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:48:29 -0400
> > Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Even on fast machines, I still usually only use ctwm.  I don't really
> >> see any point spending all those cycles to run KDE or Gnome.
> >
> > It depends on how you use your machine.
> >
> > If you use desktop applications, they work better on a DE.
>
> Define "desktop applications".

Pretty much 99% of what is out there, which for the last few years has gained
more and more dependencies on the foundations of KDE and Gnome.

Yes, you can create ugly hacks to make things run without the DE, but it
generally sucks to run like that.

A lot of the apps depend on the DEs to render properly, and fonts work better
as well.

Probably half of the apps out there now depend on the DE completely, so
running them without it is impossible.  In particular, Gnome and KDE
applications use specific IPC and daemons that must be present for the
applications to run.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto