[geeks] UNIX-like OS for a laptop [solved, for now, I think]

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Jul 9 09:35:37 CDT 2007

Quoth Geoffrey S. Mendelson ...

> Try the Ubuntu server or alternate CD's.

I installed Ubuntu Server, which was pretty painless.  It supports the
D-Link Ethernet card right out of the box; in fact, it seems quite happy
with all the hardware.  Of course, with no GUI, the video hardly matters,
and I assume there's no sound beyond maybe a beep, but that's fine, too.

Now I just have to figure out the various start-up and inetd mysteries,
install the stuff I need, etc.

Anyone know where they keep the list of installable package names?
"postfix" I could guess, but stuff like "netkit-inet" is pretty hard to
figure out from scratch.

-Shel