[geeks] UNIX-like OS for a laptop

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jul 8 23:32:24 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 08:24:24PM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Other potential issues ... it's a Taiwanese no-name laptop, P-III 600 or
> something, and will only take 128 MB of RAM.
>
> I don't care about having a high-zoot GUI; command line is fine, though it
> ought to have an X Windows client.
>
> Because I just happen to have the CDs lying around, I've tried FreeBSD 6.1,
> which won't boot all the way, and Ubuntu Workstation, which is glacially
> slow.  Ubuntu's installer hung on the first try, and crashed on the seconds
> try, so I never got far enough along to know if it would support the D-Link
> cards.

Try the Ubuntu server or alternate CD's. I was able to shoehorn Ubuntu 7 on a
Wallstreet Laptop with 196m RAM, and a 2g hd, with a 233mHz "G3" PPC processor
by installing only the minimum and then adding the GNOME. It runs resonably
well but all I use is xterm (with ssh) and Firefox.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838