[geeks] Laptops taken out of the U.S.

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jul 3 00:24:23 CDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Two caveats are that they don't have modems,

They do--they're just not internal anymore.  The catalogue number is
MA034Z/A.

> and you may have to wait a week for Apple to approve the repair if you
> need service.

That may be the case overseas, but the case with -all- Apple products
I've owned was that I've always had my equipment back in 2 - 3 days in
the case that the machine has to be shipped off, and several hours later
if I can have a local service shop repair the system.

The only company I've ever seen with better service is IBM, and that's
on their midrange RISC systems.

> If you call Apple support and get them to agree that you need a repair
> (which is pretty simple), you ask them for the incident number and
> include that when you bring in the computer for service.
>
> Then there is no delay.

That's been my experience.  In fact, usually, I can call the repair shop
(if they're an Apple-certified service center) and tell them my
symptoms.  Then, they'll order the parts, call me when I should drop my
system off, and call me again when I should pick it up.

I second a recommendation for an Apple notebook.  I have a 17"
Powerbook, and it's unbelievably light and gets exceptional battery life
(2 - 5 hours depending on disk activity, backlight brightness, and
whether I'm using 802.11, EVDO, or a wired network connection).

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "When they turn the pages of history, when these
Elgin, TX        (   days have passed long ago, will they read of us