[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jan 31 20:03:52 CST 2007

Wed, 31 Jan 2007 @ 17:52 -0500, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> >
> >> That's not what I meant.
> >>
> >> What I meant was that many people provided bang-paths to those
> >> particular machines because they were well connected and well known.
> >> Literally everyone knew how to get the ucbvax.  It was the center of the
> >> UUCP network.
> >
> > I understood you the first time, I just question the validity of it.
> >
> > No machine in the maps was any more well known than any other.  It was
> > just an entry in the database like any other.
> >
> > odu was in the maps, so there was no effective difference between the two.
>
> The difference is that I could route my mail to the more common machines
> *without* checking the map.

You mean on your personal machine or at least the one sending the email?

I didn't have maps on my email server either, and neither did my
immediate upstream host.

It doesn't matter. Eventually some upstream host does use its maps, and
one well maintained host in the maps is as good as any other.

The only way to route in UUCP without maps was to specific the full bang
path.

That was often a bad idea.

I only used that method for fairly short paths that I knew were stable.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820
2056 2054 434d 2048 4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53]