[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jan 31 17:05:36 CST 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:48:18 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I understood you the first time, I just question the validity of it.
>
> No machine in the maps was any more well known than any other.  It was
> just an entry in the database like any other.

My distant memory of uucp/UseNet tells me that many people had multiple
bang paths in their sigs. Given that the average email user was
somewhat more clueful then than now, I would guess that they had a
reason for doing so.

One of the reasons we on this list use the quoting mechanism we do, was
because UseNet messages travelling over uucp would often arrive out of
order, and sometimes not at all.

Did uucp maps have a mechanism for expressing how quick and reliable
particular links were ? I would guess that without that, email over
uucp could be very variable in reliability and speed. Also wasn't it
necessary to manually install the map ? If it changed frequently, an
outdated map could cause problems.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.