[geeks] Just picked up an HP 5Si MX, few questions...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 31 11:05:17 CST 2007

Hello all,

Well the Princeton Surplus sale turned up another winner - an HP 5Si MX printer, with all cables and the "Tray 4" printer stand that takes a TON of paper (I think it said 4,000 sheets ;^) AND the little cable that connects the printer to the expansion tray/stand. It also included a JetDirect card, and printed up great test pages (PCL and PS) - $50.

What I don't get, is the amount of RAM it can accomodate - I've seen 3x 32 Meg FPM, and other sites that quote EDO RAM, and some that advise against exceeding the Mfg. limits.

Any idea how much RAM it can handle/use? (I like the idea of 96 Meg, but if it wont work, there's no reason to consider it)

Any concerns/gotchas with this specific printer? (I really like that is can accomodate 11x17 pages ;^)

Any point to adding a HD to the printer? (Does anything really take advantage of the internal HD, it seems like an idea the Mfg. thought would take off, but did not...)

Thanks in advance,

Lionel