[geeks] Vista cost

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jan 30 18:01:08 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 05:53:26PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> A new Lenovo laptop would be pricey, but they make nice hardware...

A new Lenovo *Thinkpad* would be nice hardware.

I don't really like the 3000 N100 that replaced my Thinkpad after the
ThinkPad was stolen.

> I'd avoid older P3 laptops, because they *typically* only support 512
> Meg of RAM, and I suspect you'd want more on the laptop these
> days... (esp. for XP Pro SP2)

Of course, that makes P3s more affordable for people wanting Linux
laptops.

> A Refurb MacBook would be a great value, given the support and quality
> of the hardware. My only concern (and it's a small concern, since I
> don't know your application) is that the MacBooks only have Intel
> embedded graphics (GMA 950?) that use shared RAm, which isn't
> horrible, but is not in the same league as the dedicated graphics
> cards in some laptops (MacBook Pro, better WinTel laptops, etc.)...

Last I looked there was a Refurb for $800.  I suspect that MrBill was
looking for less than that though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net