[geeks] Vista cost

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 30 17:53:26 CST 2007

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: 2007/01/30 Tue PM 02:14:01 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Vista cost

>On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 07:31:29PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>> I think it'll be taking a brief flying lesson through Best Buy's
>> window if it doesn't, en Bill? ;o)
>
>Right now we're debating between ordering something direct from Lenovo,
>buying an older ThinkPad off ePay (anybody got a P3-500-or-better TP with
>13" or smaller screen for sale?), or just getting her a MacBook and
>putting Windows on it.

A new Lenovo laptop would be pricey, but they make nice hardware...

I'd avoid older P3 laptops, because they *typically* only support 512 Meg of RAM, and I suspect you'd want more on the laptop these days... (esp. for XP Pro SP2)

A Refurb MacBook would be a great value, given the support and quality of the hardware. My only concern (and it's a small concern, since I don't know your application) is that the MacBooks only have Intel embedded graphics (GMA 950?) that use shared RAm, which isn't horrible, but is not in the same league as the dedicated graphics cards in some laptops (MacBook Pro, better WinTel laptops, etc.)...

Lionel