[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 30 14:32:52 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 08:14:30PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:

> I remember http over email, but I don't recall it being used that much
> where I was. ftp over email on the other hand, I used quite a bit. In
> fact my first attempt at installing 386BSD (and then Linux) was
> 'downloaded' via email. It took quite a while to assemble all those
> emails :)

I remember that it was at DEC, but I can't remember the hostname.

I was more of a floppy kind of guy. I bought Esix 3.2 on floppy, 4.0
on tape (with boot floppies), Coherent on floppy (anyone remember that?),
but the first real Linux system I installed was from CD-ROM.

By that time, you could buy a CD with several distributions of Linux,
and at least one of BSD.

My first CD-ROM drive was bought in 1990 or 1991 to get Macintosh System 7
when it first came out. I still have it.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838