[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Jan 30 14:14:30 CST 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:05:02 -0500, Dave Fischer wrote:
> HTTP requests via email over uucp was also useful at one point.

I remember http over email, but I don't recall it being used that much
where I was. ftp over email on the other hand, I used quite a bit. In
fact my first attempt at installing 386BSD (and then Linux) was
'downloaded' via email. It took quite a while to assemble all those
emails :)

I was on JANET's X.25 network only from about 1986-1993 so most of
these email services were the only way to access the Internet; manually
routing email over multiple incompatible networks was an interesting
challenge ... 'cbs%username::edu.mit::uk.ac.nsfnet-relay' (I think).

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 This signature has been rot13-encrypted twice, reading it is illegal