[geeks] Vista cost

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jan 28 16:49:30 CST 2007

Sun, 28 Jan 2007 @ 15:04 -0500, James Fogg said:

> > We're going to end up buying something after the 30th,
> > blowing away Vista, and putting XP SP2 on it...
>

> If it lets you. CP is part of the chipset too.

The real fun idea is driver revocation.

Now imaging having a PCIe SCSI adapter that is just as fast as anything
current, but you can't use it because it doesn't have copy protection
support.

Also, did anyone notice that Microsoft says that Vista encrypts *ALL* of
your data, even your swap file?

Move a hard drive full of critical data from a dead machine, and you
can't read it.

Microsoft promises that all you have to do is... (insert steps required
to re-authenticate a new machine)... and you'll be fine.

Now imagine having to do that on a critical server, or even a personal
situation where delay hurts you, or maybe you don't even have the
ability to authorize the new machine for whatever reason.

Imagine, heave forbid, Microsoft dies and you need to authenticate your
system.

Aside: did anyone catch the quiet news of the week? You know, where
Microsoft acknowledges extension of XP support to at least 2011, maybe
longer?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall