[geeks] Case locks & ATX power adapters

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jan 26 19:23:46 CST 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> Date: 2007/01/26 Fri AM 09:24:08 CST
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] Case locks & ATX power adapters
>
> <snip>
>
>> Do the extra 4 pins of an EATX 24-pin connector supply power than can be
>> used there?
>
> Exactly - it is a 12V rail, as I understand it, nothing special. If I had a
> more modern PS in the case, the last 4 pins of the 24 pin power cable would
> snap off and plug right in.

If you had a more modern power supply, you would not need those pins to
snap off, because modern PS have a separate 4-pin vcore plug.

You probably have a very early ATX supply, before they started adding
the vcore supply.  That started happening with the Intel P4 CPUs and is
listed as an Intel standard, but is needed for AMD as well.

Now they have triple 12v power supplies, though almost no motherboard
needs them.

But if you look at the power requirements that are coming... wow.