[geeks] SATA on G4 Power Mac (bootable?)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jan 24 16:42:16 CST 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I'm wondering if shoving in a PCI SATA controller such as this[0]
> would give me a meaningful boost in performance - anyone ever use one?

I would expect so.  When I upgraded my QuickSilver from its onboard IDE
to a SATA controller, the system suddenly became much more responsive.
I can't say how much of that was a newer controller versus a newer
drive, but the overall combined upgrade was well worth it.

> I'd like to remove IDE drives and install a couple SATA drives,
> ideally booting off the SATA drive.

SIIG makes a board that can do just that.  You'll still need the onboard
IDE to drive your optical devices, but that's it.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"