[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jan 24 08:46:20 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 04:55:08PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:30:10AM -0500, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> > I don't think Nvidia's support of OSS efforts have been up to snuff,
> > personally.
>
> That's a matter of opinion. They provide the necessary documentation
> to write a decent driver, and a closed source supported driver for
> X86 Linux.

I haven't seen anything about them providing the info needed for a
decent driver since the TNT days.  The free nvidia drivers are 2D only,
and they aren't even all that fast for 2D.  To get any sort of 3D from
recent cards (for values of recent that are anything newer than TNT2),
people are having to reverse engineer the binary drivers.