[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 13:27:32 CST 2007

On 23 Jan 2007, at 11:23, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 02:15:23AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> At this point, why by a Sun if it's just going to be Yet Another
>> Intel
>> Reference Design In An Overpriced Chassis?
>
> The only "reference design" system they were selling that I saw was
> the
> original x2100 which was a Tyan-motherboard system.

The fact the only 'reference' design came from Tyan, not AMD leads me
to believe AMD possess few reference  designs for server hardware.
Like Apple and PowerPC, Sun and Opteron means a bit of work to
actually design the boards. A certain amount of it is in place, such
as chipset design (which Apple had to do a good deal of themselves on
PowerPC) but nowhere do I see standard AMD issued board for servers
along the lines of Intel's. I will openly retract any of the
following if anyone can prove otherwise, I've not looked into Opteron
servers in huge depth outside of Sun's (why bother, Sun's are the
best anyway ;o) ) but I don't see a huge number of companies taking
them up, which leads me to believe something Intel offers makes
Xeon;s an easier platform to work with.

We have a Dell Poweredge 1800 at work (freestanding or rackmount 4U)
and the whole mainboard is Intel branded. Also I have the mainboard
out of an old IBM Slot 1 Dual PIII Server under my desk in a 4U case,
and it's an Intel L440GX+. I'm not saying Sun will cheap-out Dell
style and use bog-bog-standard boards, but it strikes me as a much
more complete solution than anything AMD have on offer (to my
knowledge at least). Much like Apple, Sun have a lot of the
backbreaking work done already, all they have to do is shape it to
suit, and that special Sun ingredient and you've got really good
server hardware, relatively easily.

> Everything else has been designed in-house AFAIK (by Bechtolsteim's
> group), and is *really
> nice* enterprise-class x86 hardware (proper ILO/LOM via either
> remote  KVM or SSH, fault management, etc).

Although I agree I don't think Sun will settle on an all-off-the-
shelf solution, much like Apple have designed custom hardware around
standard components for their line of computers, Intel has all of the
above available for use as standard parts.

Our Poweredge 1800 has a remote access PCI card in it (Dell 'DRAC'
branded but it intereacts with Intel on-board hardware so is likely
an Intel board) that interacts with the BMC control chipset (a long
time standard component in Intel servers) and gives you complete
remote KVM service for LOM on the box from anywhere you can access
the IP. It also has capacity to e-mail and alert via SNMP even when
the machine shuts down. When combined with redundant PSU hardware it
makes a great package. It's all powered by Java too, so Sun won't hav
too many objection! Anyway it works well and saves me getting off my
ass! Now if only I could get tit to change the tapes and deliver them
to my desk every day ;o) I believe something like this is built into
Dell's newest breed of Intel servers, and no longer an add-on card.
That's what I gathered from the sales bumph anyway...

Oh, I don't know if it supports LOM over SSH, I've never investigated
it. It's only an embedded server on a card so it's likely it could be
easily implemented. The whole thing is Dell branded (the web
interface at least - notably the Java client isn't). It's conceivable
that Sun could provide a similar, or more likely better, system with
the existing technology.

I dunno, my knowledge is limited, but I know what I know ;o)

> If the Intel chips go into the same class of systems as their x2100-
> M2-and-up is currently, you'll see some really nice boxes to run
> Solaris x86 on.

Without doubt, I expect great things from Sun with the new Intel
partnership.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the
trash!"