[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jan 23 05:23:29 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 02:15:23AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> At this point, why by a Sun if it's just going to be Yet Another Intel
> Reference Design In An Overpriced Chassis?

The only "reference design" system they were selling that I saw was the
original x2100 which was a Tyan-motherboard system.  Everything else has
been designed in-house AFAIK (by Bechtolsteim's group), and is *really
nice* enterprise-class x86 hardware (proper ILO/LOM via either remote
KVM or SSH, fault management, etc).

If the Intel chips go into the same class of systems as their
x2100-M2-and-up is currently, you'll see some really nice boxes to run
Solaris x86 on.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford