[geeks] DST change costs

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Jan 22 20:09:58 CST 2007

Quoth the  Sandwich Maker ...
> " From: "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at tandem.artell.net>
> " Thus it was easier to just modify the configuration file.
>
> by that do you mean the zoneinfo config file[s]?

Yep.

Specifically, /usr/lib/locale/TZ/northamerica (for IRIX 6.5.22) to add the
changes, zic to compile the changes, and changing the time sone in
/etc/TIMEZONE to be one of the "colon variations" so it uses the
/usr/lib/locale/TZ/northamerica stuff instead of whatever it normally uses.

> solaris has zic and
> if irix does, you can d/l an updated zoneinfo tarball from somewhere
> in nih.gov [odd it's not nist] and zic it into place.

Well, probably, but I couldn't find it.  I used information on how to change
OpenSolaris, and, since it said "edit the file," I edited the file.

> this is the recommended approach for solarii prior to 7, for which
> patches will not be issued unless you've got $150k burning a hole in
> your pocket.

Lemme check.  Yep, I have $1.50 ....

-Shel