[geeks] DST change costs

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Jan 22 17:33:50 CST 2007

" From: "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at tandem.artell.net>
"
" If I were billing some client for the time it took me to track down,
" understand, and apply the required configuration changes to one IRIX server
" and one Solaris server, ye olde cliente would be out a couple of hundred
" bucks.  In the IRIX case, the OS version (6.5.22) is patchable, but you have
" to have a support contract to get the patches.  I don't know about the
" Solaris machine; it's still on Solaris 7, and hasn't been patched at all.
" Thus it was easier to just modify the configuration file.

by that do you mean the zoneinfo config file[s]?  solaris has zic and
if irix does, you can d/l an updated zoneinfo tarball from somewhere
in nih.gov [odd it's not nist] and zic it into place.
[see recent sunmanagers questions]

this is the recommended approach for solarii prior to 7, for which
patches will not be issued unless you've got $150k burning a hole in
your pocket.