[geeks] New 2.5" SCSI HDs???

Geoff Reed geoffr at zipcon.net
Mon Jan 22 00:51:38 CST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: geeks-bounces at sunhelp.org [mailto:geeks-bounces at sunhelp.org] On Behalf
Of der Mouse
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 10:07 PM
To: The Geeks List
Subject: Re: [geeks] New 2.5" SCSI HDs???

>> There would be no SCSI market then (well, except for the secondhand
>> market); it would be SAS.
> Why would there be no SCSI market?  I thought SAS was SCSI...

Apparently not.  SAS is SCSI the way SATA is IDE, I gather: the
protocol is more or less the same at the level of command and response
packets but the underlying transport is totally different and utterly
incompatible.

You cannot, for example, plug a SCSI disk into a SAS system, nor the
other way around, any more than a (P)ATA disk is of any use on a SATA
system.
------

Actually there are interface/protocol convertors to allow PATA drives on
SATA channels and vice versa