[geeks] New 2.5" SCSI HDs???

Mon Jan 22 00:07:25 CST 2007

>> There would be no SCSI market then (well, except for the secondhand
>> market); it would be SAS.
> Why would there be no SCSI market?  I thought SAS was SCSI...

Apparently not.  SAS is SCSI the way SATA is IDE, I gather: the
protocol is more or less the same at the level of command and response
packets but the underlying transport is totally different and utterly
incompatible.

You cannot, for example, plug a SCSI disk into a SAS system, nor the
other way around, any more than a (P)ATA disk is of any use on a SATA
system.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca