[geeks] DST change costs

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Wed Jan 17 17:50:14 CST 2007

Quoth Charles Shannon Hendrix ...

> I spent a little time this week looking for devices around the house
> that have automatic timekeeping and DST settings.
>
> It looks like I won't lose much, since I don't have a lot of automatic
> timekeepers embedded in my stuff.

Thanks for reminding me about the DST change.  Now I know how that sort of
thing works on IRIX and Solaris (and everything else using the Olson stuff),
and I've gotten it updated on my two timeservers.  I expect the workstations
will be OK, since they are all either XP or a recent installation of a
current BSD or Linux.  I'll check 'em, anyway.

Looking around the house, I see ... basically nothing.  None of our clocks
set themselves, as I know all too well from the power outages we've had this
winter.  My low-ball freebie cellphone has to be set manually, too.  My
watch gets set by one of the workstations, when I bother.  The cars are
manual-set.  The pets are always on solar time.

So, the cost of the DST date change to me is about zilch, as long as my time
has no value ....

-Shel

PS:  I discovered something interesting when I changed the TZ stuff on my
Solaris 7 box.  After I changed the files, but before I rebooted, I set up
an "at" job to mail me the TZ and date at a time that would be after the
reboot.  Extra points to you if you know why this sent the mail just fine,
but the mail had the old TZ setting, not the one in effect after the
reboot....