[geeks] Lomo/Holga photography

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Jan 14 23:34:37 CST 2007

From: "Dan Duncan" <danduncan at gmail.com>
> My wife is into photography and has recently expressed interest in
> getting a Lomo/Holga camera.  I'd like to pick one up for her birthday
> but she doesn't know much about Lomo and I don't know much about
> photography so I was hoping someone here could recommend a specific
> camera.  She wants something in 35mm,  possibly with a hot shoe for a
> flash (flash recommendations needed), decent quality.  I don't want to
> spend a fortune but I don't want something that doesn't work well or
> will break easily.
>
> Thanks for any input!

I had to take a quick look to see what lomo and holga was.  I think she
should research it first before making any decisions.  You really can't
go wrong going with brands like Nikon, Canon, the biggies.  I don't
know what you budget is and I'm assuming you are looking at film rather
than digital (certainly is cheaper).  I would suggest a 35 mm SLR which
allows interchangable lenses.  Usually they come with a simple zoom lens
which will be good for a beginning.  Each brand also has either a built
in flash or at least one hot shoe flash in their line.  You can check out
one of those review magazines.  They give features if not a slighly biased
review of what's on the market.  I would say that if it is not a
surprise gift, have her make a list of what she wants.  Then visit a
reputable camra store and have her actually handle models that have her
requirements.  Ones that fit her hand will be easier to use and she
could see if the features are worth it.

I did my research and bugged the salepeople at local camera stores and
picked a Canon EOS 620 about 25 years ago.  Still working (with
occasional, minor service) and use an off-brand 28-200 mm zoom as a
general purpose lens.  Even have a couple of even older Canon AE-1 with
various lenses.  They still work eventhough a bit banged up.  The
Canon Rebel seems to be pretty good.   I got Canon because it was,
in general, cheaper than Nikon.  (I've heard Canon called a poor
man's Nikon. :) )

It's a little tough to suggest models when you don't know budget and
what a person is looking for and everybody has their favorite brand
and model.  I hope I was some help rather than scare you off.  :)
Good luck in your hunt.

Bob