[geeks] Warning, high voltage, no GFI.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 9 17:44:07 CST 2007

Hi,

Here in Israel, the line voltage is 230 volts. Due to the high voltage,
almost everyone has a GFI (ground fault interupter) before the main
circuit breaker in their homes.

So every outlet in our apartment used to be protected with a GFI.

I've now installed a UPS for a computer. Since it is connected to the
UPS, the computer can operate independently of the power line, and is no
longer GFI protected.

The UPS has the type of outlets that you can find on the back of
computers for monitors. This was no problem for the computer, a standard
monitor to computer power cable works fine.

However, I want to have an outlet strip connected to it so that I can
plug in some small current but essential items. My network switch,
my cable modem and my PVR.

I made up an outlet strip that plugs into the UPS, but how do I mark it
and how do I mark the devices plugged into it. So far, I've used a red
magic marker (permanent ink pen) to mark the outlets in red.

The problem is, I don't think anyone who has never worked in a hospital
or computer room would have any idea of what it means.

I'd like to make some sort of sign, and stickers for the equipment.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838